Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Second and Third Sketch

My second and third sketches are of a couple of landmarks in Italy. I loved the architecture and history of Italy. In each city I couldn't put my camera down. We visited Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice and Verona.

While in Rome, we stayed within walking distance of the Colosseum. We did a guided tour, which was very interesting and we also did a guided tour of Vatican City. Our guides were great - trained in history and art, they were full of knowledge and interesting facts.

We visited The Leaning Tower of Pisa on a cold and very wet day. So it was just a quick visit!


These sketches are taking longer than expected!

I thought I'd share my technique, in case you're interested. I first sketch in pencil from a photo I took on the trip. I then colour using Derwent watercolour pencils. I was going to use watercolour paint, but the pencils are so much easier and less messy while you're travelling. There's a few different ways of using them to get different results. So it's good to experiment before applying it to your final picture. After the water has dried, I use a Papermate fineliner (fine 0.4) to outline and put in all the detail.

I'm happy with the results. I'm not looking for a photo perfect finish - I like the graphic quality and my own hand drawn touch!

2 comments:

  1. noice!!!!! love the leaning tower sketch nice and loose :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ang! Hope all is going well in your studio! :)

    ReplyDelete